Friday, January 9, 2015

It's the Little Things

So far, I haven't bought anything...   I know it's only been about a week, and, to be honest, it has been relatively easy.

However, I have noticed something about how I think.

I was pulling on my socks yesterday and one of them started to tear.  Immediately, I thought, 'Oh, I should just go get some new ones'.  Then I realized I wasn't buying anything, and my thoughts changed to 'I should be more careful' and 'What will I do if they do tear and how could I fix them?'.

I also momentarily thought 'Are my feet getting fatter?'.  This could be true considering how many cookies I ate over the Christmas holiday.

I thought it was interesting how my initial reaction to something breaking was immediately to go buy more.  No thoughts of trying to make it last, no thoughts of fixing, no thoughts of really anything else other than buying.  I  came across this quote, which, apparently originated during the Great Depression.

“Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.”

Honestly, I think that sounds crazy in the culture we live in.  But it wasn't very long ago (our grandparents) that this would have been a completely normal way of thinking.  Maybe this year will teach me to think a little more like that...

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fat feet exercises........hhttp://how-to-lose-fat-fast.com/how-to-lose-ankle-fat-and-fat-around-your-feet-and-toes-fast.htmlttp://how-to-lose-fat-fast.com/how-to-lose-ankle-fat-and-fat-around-your-feet-and-toes-fast.html........love you and I love reading this.

    ReplyDelete